Do you need to send an invoice to a customer or grantor for the services you already provided or ask for reimbursements for billable expenses? An invoice form is what you would use to record the transaction in QuickBooks Online.
We will be using the sample company file called Mary's Nonprofit in this tutorial.
1. Log into your QuickBooks Online account and follow the below steps to get started.
2. Click on the "+" quick create icon in the top right navigation bar. Under the Customers column, click on Invoice.
3. QuickBooks Online will open up the Invoice screen. Complete the following fields:
Select an existing customer or create a new one
Email field should auto-populate with the customer's email address if it exists in the system. Or you can manually enter it in this screen
Enter any custom field info
Select the invoice terms, date and due date
Check the box next to required payment option if using QuickBooks Merchant Services
Enter the invoice number
Select your product/service items from the dropdown list
Enter the purpose of the payment in the description field
Enter the quantity and price
If you have class tracking turned on, you can assign a class to the line item in this screen
If you collect sales tax, you can check the tax box
If there are any billable expenses assigned to customer's name, you can add them from the left navigation screen
Message displayed on sales receipt - Add any special payment instruction for client
Add any supporting documents in the attachment field
Review your total amounts to make sure everything is accurate
4. Once you finish adding all the invoice details, you can click the print or preview option to display the invoice in PDF mode or select print later if you want to print a copy afterwards.
5. You can make the invoice recurring using the tips from prior blog post on how to create recurring transactions in QuickBooks Online.
6. You can customize the look of the invoice form and the email message the customer should receive.
7. The more button gives you more options to duplicate the invoice or delete the invoice if you made a mistake.
8. To finish creating the invoice and exit out of the screen, do any of the following:
Click save and send to save and email the customer the invoice
Click save and close if you just want to save the invoice to print later without emailing it to the customer
Click save and new to keep creating new invoices
You are done creating an invoice. Check out the next blog on how to receive payment to an invoice in QuickBooks Online.
Feel free to share this QuickBooks Online tip with other users. Reach out to me if you need one-on-one QuickBooks Online training session.